It is never easy to build trust as a new company in the market with only a few who recognize it. Brand reputation plays a crucial role in helping businesses have an edge against competitors, boosting their position in the market, improving revenue, and more.
A brand is the face of a company that consumers recognize and acknowledge when making purchasing decisions transforming one-time buyers into loyal customers. In other words, it is instrumental to the success of a company, and for these reasons, a branding strategy should not be overlooked even though it takes considerable time, study, and effort.
What should a branding strategy include?
Apart from the outward appearance of a business, public opinion plays a major role when it comes to the brand reputation of a company. The way consumers view a business holds a significant influence on the success or failure of a business.
A strong branding strategy involves more than just designing a logo and putting together a brand style guide. Several elements work together to build a company’s image and reputation that evoke positive emotion and trust in consumers.
According to Jeff Bezos, “your brand is what other people say about you when you’re not in the room”. Everyone has a different style when it comes to their own brand. A good brand doesn’t need to cost you millions of dollars, but it does require a lot of creativity and research. Studies show that 89 percent of shoppers stay loyal to brands they share similar values with.
Define the Message
Building a positive relationship with customers is conveying the message of the company clearly and explicitly. The customers should get a clear understanding of the vision of the company and what it stands for.
Trust comes from knowing that a company can deliver on its commitments consistently with a strong regard for its client and consumer experience, which in the long run, drives brand engagement, loyalty, and advocacy.
Demonstrate Care for the Customers
A company’s message should reflect sincerity, reliability, and care for its customers. A clear indication of a company’s intent to make customers happy is delivering what the audience essentially needs.
Consistency in branding improves the recognizability of a company. The logos of Apple, Nike, Amazon, and other well-known giants are easily recognizable at first glance. It wouldn’t be an exaggeration at all to say that people immediately get a mental image of the products and services of these companies when they see the logo or hear about the brand. This kind of branding only comes with consistency.
While a distinct brand image has the capability to take a business to the next level, simple content and memorable graphics are enough to promote a consistent brand image. Every business may employ a different approach, but if they build an excellent brand reputation, they will eventually be able to witness positive results.
The Effects of a Positive Brand Reputation
It is much easier to get the job done when the perception of the company is positive in the minds of the consumers and clients. Oftentimes, a strong brand reputation drives smoother marketing campaigns, business partnerships, product launches, or other aspects.
Public opinion cannot be disregarded in a consumerist society like ours, whether it’s people sharing recommendations or reviews on a website. Therefore, the impression that a business leaves on the customers is more impactful than ever today.
A positive brand image can be manifested across various channels, such as content creation, digital marketing, public relations, etc. While it may mostly require surface-level work, it is the bottom line that can reap the real benefits. With a positive reputation comes increased brand awareness, customer loyalty, higher profits, etc.
Improving Brand Reputation in 2023
Mindfully curating the effort to spread awareness of a company is a much more effective brand strategy. Here are several ways to achieve a positive brand reputation:
Since customers are the ones who essentially influence the brand’s reputation directly, they should be the obvious choice of focus for the most part of the brand strategy. Maintaining public relations with the help of the below-mentioned campaigns can attract more customers to a business.
- Customer-focused campaigns –Going the extra mile to create a better customer experience not only builds a good relationship but also ensures return customers spread awareness about their preferred brand through word of mouth. The introduction of straightforward changes makes it more visible to the audience as an effort by the business to connect and engage with them.
- Community engagement – Community participation is a big part of brand elevation that offers the opportunity to tap into multiple communities. For instance, online and local communities are a great way to connect with prospective as well as existing audiences. As is the case with any form of marketing, it is important to first focus on the tone and message that the brand aligns with.
A significant amount of brand reputation is built through content marketing, whether it is through social media posts, long-form articles, or interesting infographics. When you think of it, a company’s footprint in the digital world comprises mostly of web pages with specific landing pages, blogs, whitepapers, case studies, help guides, FAQs, etc. Therefore, quality content can be used to significantly impact the brand reputation of a company.
- SEO-friendly content– Search Engine Optimization or SEO is a fundamental aspect of optimizing the online presence of a business with opportunities for incredible payoffs. Any website that manages to climb to the top of the search engine results page (SERPs) can enjoy a boost in brand reputation. This is only possible if the content aligns with SEO and the customer’s interest, attracting more traffic to business pages and driving the company’s bottom line.
- Creating content for authority – Alongside curating SEO-friendly content, becoming an authoritative online source for industry members and the community can significantly accentuate a company’s brand reputation. Any content that offers more value and caters to a specific field automatically becomes an authoritative source within that field. However, it doesn’t necessarily require heavy technical write-ups for hardcore customers. Focusing on the target audience and content that can educate and pique their interest is more than enough.
Digital marketing has always been vital to expanding brand exposure. Targeted ads, data-based insights, and algorithms can help present a brand in a positive light with more transparency. The following digital marketing efforts can positively affect brand reputation:
- Utilizing ads – Online ads (search engine and social media ads) are a significant part of digital marketing campaigns. It is the first point of contact between a business and a prospective buyer, which is why personable ads are integral to setting a brand far apart from other competitors. This is where style guides, A/B testing, and other tools make a difference.
- Web design – Aside from having an impressive and effective landing page, a website should reflect a brand’s qualities. For instance, if the services offered by a business are quick and simple, that should be mirrored in the way the website is presented as well. The usability, appearance, and functionality of a website work together to retain visitors. A web design should be able to give a website a fresh and intuitive feel and include all the resources a customer might want.
A business requires attention across multiple facets, but when stretched too thin, brand reputation can get impacted. As a matter of fact, organizations that are known for their incredible brand reputations collaborate closely with professionals who work behind the scenes.
The scale of ethical tolerance matters in varying degrees to various businesses, but this does not mean that well-known brands will not suffer any repercussions whatsoever just because they have a history of good service. It does, however, mean that if they consistently commit to their customers and employees, a tiny slip-up or even a controversial one won’t run the business into the ground. Observably, whatever draws customers to the brand in the first place determines the magnitude of error that can drive them away.
A brand that has a clear message about who it is and fully commits to embodying that message in all that it does has a strong chance of maintaining sustainable relationships with its customers. Regardless of the transfer of purchasing power from older to younger generations, brand reliability is still crucial for businesses.
Improve your CX and build your brand reputation. Consult our experts!